Remove Ads

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trainer House Tip
Experiments for Mimic and Sketch or, How to Teach Pokémon Weird Moves

Proposal: Mimic can be used in conjunction with Sketch to teach any skill to the pokémon using Mimic. The only pokémon from the original 151 incapable of learning Mimic from a TM in Blue/Red/Green/Yellow are caterpie, ditto, kakuna, magikarp, and metapod. However, ditto is the only one who will never learn Mimic, because dittos don't evolve. Clefairy can learn Mimic naturally. Unfortunately, in Yellow there is only one TM. However, in Red and Blue there is a cheat. So Mimic can be copied as many as 150 or so times. (or you can just play 150 games and give a different pokémon Mimic each time.) In Gold/Silver/Crystal the only pokémon that learn or inherit Mimic are cleffa, Mr. Mime and sudowoodo. Although, what about breeding the Blue/Red/Green/Yellow pokémon that can learn (and know) Mimic naturally or from a TM? Another experiment! (See below.)

When using Mystery Gift, the line-up for the Trainer should have only smeargle and one other pokémon (the teacher) you want ditto to learn a move (NewSkill) from. Smeargle should always be in the top slot and faster than your ditto. Go to the Trainer House in Viridian City. Have ditto hold leftovers in the top slot and have plenty of max potions handy. Start a battle with the Trainer you last performed Mystery Gift with.

Experiment 1 (success): If a ditto learns Sketch then uses Sketch to learn a new skill, what will happen?
Smeargle: Sketch. (Fails, since ditto hasn’t made a move yet.)
Ditto: Transform. (Now ditto-smeargle has Sketch.)
Keep stuffing ditto-smeargle with potions until smeargle faints from using Struggle or is retreated.
Keep stuffing ditto-smeargle with potions until the teacher pokémon uses NewSkill.
Teacher: NewSkill
Ditto: Sketch (Now ditto-smeargle has NewSkill.)
Retreat ditto, ko the pokémon to end the battle in your favor.
When you check, your ditto will have reverted to his normal shape, but instead of Transform he will have NewSkill.
Result: I wound up with a ditto with Hidden Power this way. [Editor’s note: I now know HP comes in different types, but I haven’t tested to find out which one yet.]

Experiment 2: If the smeargle also has Transform and two Sketches, would ditto be able to keep both skills?
Smeargle: Sketch.
Ditto: Transform. (Now ditto-smeargle has Transform, Sketch, Sketch)
Stall (use potions or something) until smeargle uses Transform.
Smeargle: Transform
Ditto: Sketch. (This will fail, because ditto-smeargle already has Transform. Now ditto-smeargle has Transform, Sketch, Sketch)
Keep stuffing ditto with potions until smeargle faints (or is retreated) and the teacher pokémon uses NewSkill.
Teacher: NewSkill.
Ditto: Sketch. (Now ditto-smeargle has Transform, NewSkill, Sketch)
Retreat ditto, ko the pokémon to end the battle in your favor.
What moves does ditto now have? Hopefully, Transform and NewSkill. Maybe Sketch too.

Experiment 3: What about a pokémon using Mimic to learn Sketch then learn NewSkill in link battle?

Experiment 4: What about ditto using the same technique from Experiment 1 in a link battle?

Experiment 5: What about a pokémon using Mimic to learn Sketch then learn NewSkill at the Trainer House?

Experiment 6: Get 2 (compatible) pokémon that know Mimic that will be a male and female when traded to Gold/Silver/Crystal. Breed them together and see what happens. In Blue/Red/Green/Yellow, both would learn Mimic from a TM. Even though they are in Gold/Silver/Crystal now, it might not make any difference. As long as both parents know a skill that is on the baby’s TM/HM chart, the baby might be able to inherit that skill. If it doesn’t work right away, try putting the baby (as long as it isn’t one of the new pre-evolution pokémon like pichu or cleffa) back into Blue/Red/Green/Yellow and see what happens. When it levels up, will it learn Mimic?

What about mew? Mew knows Transform and naturally has four slots for moves. Does that mean that mew would be able to learn any move?

[Editor’s note: I have since come across a similar trick on GHPF where a mew is taught the last few moves it wouldn’t be able to learn any other way. Look up the “Mew Can Learn Any Move” thread by Kaidelong. It’s a little hard to follow, but apparently it works. Eventually, I will break it down to step-by-step instructions without the color commentary. It is a sticky in the Metallics Generation Forum. Combined with this trick, it may be possible to at least teach any pokémon any move legally. At least in Blue/Red/Green/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal.]

Later,
Rod
Sylph: Better pokémon through technology.
Cool, thanks WP. 325 coins.
Well, it would seem that the trick I discovered was discovered by someone else a couple of years ago and called the MewTation “glitch”. I started reading Kaidelong’s sticky “Mew Can Learn Any Move” and posted a message asking for clarification. He couldn’t remember exactly, but after eliminating the possibilities, I surmised that the battle must have taken place at the Trainer House.

Further down the thread was a reference to the MewTation Trick. I did a Google search and found this:

The PokeMasters Forums > Games > Classic Generation > Gold, Silver, Crystal
A Possible Major Shake Up in Battling?

Reply posted 29th February 2004, 10:07 AM by Number1ChanseyFan, Moderator:
Quote:The trick that you mentioned sounds a little bit like the "Mewtation Glitch," which was discovered around a year and a half ago. The Mewtation Glitch worked like this:

A Smeargle and Mew fight each other. The Mew knows Transform, and The Smeargle knows Sketch. Mew uses Transform and turns into a Smeargle, and copies Smeargle's moveset. Now, say the opponent's Smeargle knows Earthquake. Smeargle uses Earthquake against Mew. (who is transformed into Smeargle) Now, Mew uses Sketch, and Sketches Earthquake. After the battle is over, Mew would still know Earthquake. That is how the Mewtation Glitch works. The same trick can be used by using a Ditto instead of Mew.

The trick that you mentioned is supposed to work too. However, you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff being used for competitive battling or anything. Like I said, the Mewtation trick has been known for about a year and a half now. People may use this stuff in game, but it won't be used in competitive battling. These movesets are still considered to be illegal.
I also found another outline of the MewTation trick, which is apparently the Trainer House trick that I discovered on my own, in the GameFAQs: Pokémon Crystal FAQ/Walkthrough by Donald. They consider(ed) using this trick as cheating. Or maybe they were just mad because they lost. (There is another trick here of interest to FloppyBelly. I found what seems to be the correct walkthrough for her experiment and why it works. Also that it does even more than she had hoped.) I am hoping to get my Gold game fixed soon to try these out. Anyone have any opinions on the ethics of the Trainer House-Mimic/Transform/Metronome: Transform/Sketch trick? (Yes, it apparently works with Metronome: Transform too.)
Bayleef Wrote:Cool, thanks WP. 325 coins.
Wow! Thanks! >groan< *kaphlump* Help.

Later,
Rod